Free Counter Winter On The Equator: The Bumper Sticker Project

Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Bumper Sticker Project

I attend grad school at a mostly-undergraduate, formerly-all-female, formerly-countercultural-but now-"alternative"(-because-"countercultural"-is-more-of-a-'60s-term), small East Coast liberal arts college. There are a lot of fundraisers for Underserved Bhutanian Transsexual Day Laborers Held Unjustly Hostage by Tsunamis. There are also a lot of bumper stickers on the cars in the parking lots.

They say you can tell a lot about a person by the bumper sticker he has on his car. (They say you can tell a lot about a person by a lot of things, but so what -- stick with me, here. (Stick with me -- heh heh...)) It follows that you can tell a lot about a community by the bumper stickers they sport collectively, or even, I would argue, the fact that they sport them at all. What follows is a compilation of the bumper stickers I saw at my school. Note that this is not a selected list; I have no agenda here. (Okay, maybe I do have an agenda here. But I want to be objective in establishing support for my agenda.) The following were all the bumper stickers on cars in one parking lot (one rather small parking lot) on one day:


Committed to the Core
*Vote the Environment*


This car is on a low-carbon diet.
CoolDriver.org


WTF {picture of smiling Bush here}


{a 'W' with a line through it}
Let's not elect him in 2004 either


ear X-tacy
[I don't know what this means either. -- HJR]


{picture of mushroom cloud}
War is the real enemy


Not All Who Wander Are Lost


Attack Iraq?
NO!
[Bush must not have seen this car when he made his decision.]


BE KIND In Memory of Louise & Buddy


Honor the Dead
Respond With Peace


{a number of symbols -- the Islamic crest, the peace sign, the male/female Roman symbols, the Star of David, the yin-yang circle, and the cross -- spelling the word
'COEXIST'}


Howard Dean for America


A Man of Quality Is Not Threatened By A Woman Seeking Equality


Make Art
Not War
Support Our Troops
Bring 'Em Home Alive


'COEXIST' [again]


THE LABOR MOVEMENT
"The folks who brought you the weekend"


CIVIL LIBERTIES
Don't Leave Home Without Them


Visualize Whirled Peas


And the following were all on one car (and check out the car below -- and note the type of car it is! Hullo, Prius??):


radiowoodstock.com
Creek Freak


{surrealist portrait of Janice Joplin}


{Grateful Dead icon}


2001 Support Your State Troopers
American Assoc. of State Troopers




As you know, I prefer to keep my bloggy identity anonymous, but I will reveal that I do not attend BYU.

Some days, though, I wish I did. I have to see those same damn stuckers every fuckin' day. It's almost enough to turn one Republican for a minute. Almost.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Apryl Lee said...

I know that car.

4:18 PM, May 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home